Monday, January 28, 2008

Can you see me now?

Can you see me now?

This is a body, my body, the easy miracle
I wear out like a dress, a flowered skin.
I tore the breast right out, boiling
to touch, for you to see me slip the dress
and walk naked. This is my illustrated body,
where I meet you.

This is a body, my body, my acid tongue
begging you to fix my racing head to the stump,
to the body, to the bed. Stop reminding
me of the laundry list, the broken car,
the paperwork. This is a body, my body,
my last stand.

This is a body, my body, my yawning thighs
gape and close, muscle and fat semaphore.
Can you see me now? Am I everything
you thought I'd be? It ain't always sex,
when I need you. This is a body, my body,
my too-full home.

This is a body, my body, pin and needle
spiders over my scalp, and I am here.
Here and here and here, baby, because
this is the other side of pleasure
and I am one drum spraying a red filigree
under your hand. This is a body
my body, and I hear the faltering footstep,
the jump and drag song of decay.

I am empty, and the melody only fades.

No comments: